To ensure our players are keeping Rugby League at the forefront of their mind during this lockdown period, we are going to follow WRL’s performance programme lead and set a simple challenge:
The challenge is to watch the match below (Castleford Tigers v Leeds Rhinos. 2017 Super League Grand Final). You need to pick a team and then:
- Watch the player in your usual position closely when they are attacking in the opponents 40 meter zone and make a note of the following:
- Identify what their role is in each set (are they carrying, running support lines, etc.)
- Where are they in relation to their team mates and how do they communicate?
- Track the lines they run and identify where they are aiming to get to
- How effective were they?
- If you were playing, what might you have done differently and why?
- Watch the player in your usual position closely when they are defending in their own 40 meter zone and make a note of the following:
- Identify what their position is in relation to the attack particularly in where they are in relation to the ruck area
- How do they communicate with their team mates to ensure the defence is well organised?
- Focus on how they defend in channels and then note how they track an attacker who moves across their channel or comes in to their channel. How to the channels move laterally?
- How many defenders are there in relation to 10m, scrum line, middle, etc. How does this alter depending on which area of the field you are in and how close to the try line?
After you’ve watched the game, send us a couple of bullet points via the form below about the main thing you learnt from watching the game.
To help you track the correct player for your position, here is how the teams are lined up:
|Full Back||Greg Eden||5|
|Left Wing||Jy Hitchcox||25|
|Left Centre||Michael Shenton||4|
|Right Centre||Jake Webster||3|
|Right Wing||Greg Minikin||2|
|Half Back||Luke Gale||7|
|Left Prop||Jesse Sene-Lefao||15|
|Right Prop||Nathan Massey||14|
|Left 2nd Row||Oliver Holmes||11|
|Right 2nd Row||Mike McMeeken||12|
|Loose Forward||Adam Milner||13|
|SUB: Utility Forward||Grant Millington||10|
|SUB: Utility Forward||Junior Moors||17|
|SUB: Utility Forward||Matt Cook||18|
|SUB: Utility Forward/Centre||Alex Foster||34|
|Full Back||Jack Walker||31|
|Left Wing||Ryan Hall||5|
|Left Centre||Liam Sutcliffe||14|
|Right Centre||Kallum Watkins||3|
|Right Wing||Tom Briscoe||2|
|Half Back||Danny McGuire||6|
|Left Prop||Brad Singleton||16|
|Right Prop||Mitch Garbutt||17|
|Left 2nd Row||Jamie Jones-Buchanan||11|
|Right 2nd Row||Stevie Ward||13|
|Loose Forward||Adam Cuthbertson||10|
|SUB: Utility Back||Rob Burrow||7|
|SUB: Utility Forward||Carl Ablett||12|
|SUB: Utility Forward||Brett Ferres||19|
|SUB: Utility Forward||Antony Mullally||20|